View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: #1 advanced concept I wished I hadn\'t learned

I find that at low buyins a mid to late position raise is often a real hand. The play is often too loose to steal. People will limp with marginal hands and raise with fairly strong ones. Late in a tournament this may not be the case even at low buyins.

Also at low buyins, many players have difficulty laying down a hand to a reraise. A resteal, like any bluff or semibluff works against a good player or weak/tight player, not against a calling station.

99 or AQ are generally good enough to reraise a mid to late position raiser anyway. You should have folding equity, as well as maybe the best hand.

Generally, you want to reraise push 4-8x the original raise. Any more, and you should usually just reraise to 2.3 -4x the original raise. Any less and your opponent will call, so you need a strong hand.

A resteal requires a steal, so look for a loose raiser to reraise. You would like to have at least a standard limping hand, but this is not always necessary. During the rebuy period, you may see a big stack putting in a lot of raises. If you have enough chips so that he won't be pot committed to call you, this is an excellent situation for a resteal reraise.