View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Interesting (to me) 88 hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pre-flop -- i'd consider a reraise after button raises. if button is playing a strong Ace or KQ, you'd love to go heads up with some dead money in the pot. Try putting pressure on the two limpers to cold-call two. One or both may drop, which would be very nice for you. If they don't, you're playing this for set value or extreme undercards, but that's not so bad either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleh, I think that's a better line than calling. It's only a shade short of 99, which I'm willing to 3-bet preflop. Isolation raise with 88 doesn't sound too bad. If he 3-bets it, then we know we're in trouble

Crovax

[/ QUOTE ]

It's relatively unlikely that you're going to get isolated with PFR using the LRR. It's not very common for players to fold preflop after calling once.

And I'm not particularly fond of playing medium pocket pairs OOP against someone who likely has overcards, if not an overpair. Winning OOP in those spots is very difficult. You're not playing the all-in coinflop game. Reverse implied odds go up with pocket pairs because they have fewer chances to be bailed out by the turn or river card.