View Single Post
Old 11-15-2003, 12:42 PM

Default Re: To my Gun Toting friends

Facts: I have read varying accounts. But guns are used many times per year in self defense. Also remember police are citizens, not military. I believe all justified police uses of firearms are those of private citizens. Most people don't think so tho. But just non-police private citizens use guns as many as 500,000x per year. This does not mean they shoot the gun, but many times guns are produced or brandished which changes the interpersonal dynamics of a situation.;-) I have read many anecdotes of self defense, but won't post them here, just point out there are many.

Federal/state laws which should be cancelled. NFA. GC Act of '68 and all amendments. All Brady bill stuff. All state laws prohibiting concealed carry. All laws requiring a permit for concealed carry. IOW, I believe a law abiding citizen who does not intend to commit a crime should be able to carry his personal property as he chooses, concealed or unconcealed, in all 50 states and localities therein, without a permit. We should have 50 Vermonts in my ideal world. I hope we at least get nationwide concealed carry, but don't think the feds should be issuing permits. The increased reciprocity is nice, but doesn't go far enough. I think citizens should be able to buy regular capacity magazines. I think citizens should be able to have what some people call "assault weapons." There is no chance we will go away from the major provisions of the GC Act of '68 tho, and I doubt we will be restored our right to own automatic weapons without oppressive taxation and restrictions on privacy. See, I have a modest proposal for reforming the laws. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Personal situations: I am familiar w/ some for people I know or from professional dealings. I won't list those. I have never had to display or use a weapon fortunately. And I don't expect I will ever have to. I did have to confront an intruder to my apartment. I kept the weapon hidden from him, and he went away. I told him very forcefully and repeatedly to get out and he decided to behave as a civilized person. I did not have to display the weapon. I was in the middle of, er, something, and the woman in the apartment with me went from an anti-gunner to someone who accepted the presence of guns in the house. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Kind of ruined the mood tho.