View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: BCS bowl lines are crazy

My point is that Penn St only faced two decent defenses all year--scored 17 against Ohio St and 25 against Michigan. PSU had 78 yards passing and 126 rushing against tOSU. PSU had 239 yard passing and 184 rushing verse Michigan. Only 1 turnover in those two games combined by the Nittany Lions.

Since the Michigan game, the Nittany Lions played Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Michigan State who are not exactly the fearsome foursome, especially on defense. PSU had a decided speed edge across all positions in the big10 for every game but the two mentioned above. That will disappear against the Noles. Will PSU adjust?

While tOSU defense is better than FSU IMO, they are not as fast nor as capable of making good teams turn the ball over. If PSU holds their turnovers down, they'll win. 2 or more turnovers and I see big problems covering.

The Big10 is very, very overrated. Look at the non-conference games played by each team. There is only one impressive win; Michigan State at Notre Dame. No other team had an impressive non-conference performance (unless you count Wisky @ North Carolina and Illinois v Rutgers) and some were downright unimpressive.

The fallacy is that when tOSU and Michigan are near the top of the conference, it's considered good. IMO, the big ten is the 4th best major conference this year. I came into the year with high hopes for the conference, but they just didn't materialize. The SEC, ACC, and Pac-10 were better, some by a wide margin.