View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: O/8 Playing for High/Bet the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
Better idea. Fold pre-flop (not knowing stakes, position, read on players, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

Niss - Yes. Better idea.

(1) It's a marginal (borderline sub-marginal) hand.
(2) Hero is out of position.

tewall - Position is not as big a deal in limit as in pot-limit, but Hero should not want a raise behind him here and with all high cards, there's a better chance of opponents having the low cards some like to raise with.

twwall - I don't think you're misapplying Cappelletti's advice here. As I read his section on "Driving High in High-Low Omaha" (pages 126-129), he would have you bet this flop.

In my humble opinion, Cappeletti has some good ideas one can incorporate into one's game, but although I've tried to use this particular concept, it doesn't seem as though I've had much success with it.

However, betting without a proper flop fit does disguise your hand and gets you more action when you do have a good fit with the flop. So maybe if you look at the overall picture (all the hands yet to come in the session) you derive some benefit from betting here.

But I agree with Niss that this particular high-only hand, under these particular game conditions, might be better folded pre-flop from early position.

Buzz