View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Universal Health Care

[ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Perhaps the people I've talked to are well off enough to supplement the Gov't provided care with private care when they want/need it. (I don't really know, it's not as if I've had any in-depth discussion about it). Thanks for the response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it isn't until recently that you can buy private health insurance to suppliment the government insurance. There was a Supreme Court case in Canada that ruled that by preventing private health care you are infringing upon the Charter rights of people who can afford better health care.

As for my opinion, I think that the only agreeable position is to have basic universal health care up to a certain point like $2000 per year and that takes care of prenatal, ER visits and the like. Then you can supplement your healthcare above that with your own funds.

I think basic healthcare is needed in todays modern society to keep the peace and increase productivity, but call me insensitive I do not think Healthcare is a basic right.

Also, I think if we do go to a universal healthcare system, you shouldn't get full medical treatment if you abuse your body with cigarettes, alcohol, obesity and anything that is detrimental to your health. I think you can be on a continuum, like there are a 60% more likely to get disease A from smoking and if you get that disease and you smoke the health care only covers 40% of the bill.

-Gryph