View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Kwanzaa Origin/Discussion

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with anyone of any ethnic or cultural background being proud of where their ancestors came from. But to try to adopt customs, even if they were authentic which this holiday isn't, after a 200+ year lapse when such customs were not passed down in your family, is somewhat pretentious.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure the 200 year gap has any bearing on it. I don't celebrate birthdays, destest mothers/fathers day and about the only civic holiday I honor are those relating to veterans. That said, i don't see anything different with a group of 1 or more making up something to celebrate/acknowledge for real or imagined reasons. If it works for them, have at it. [ QUOTE ]
I would feel ridiculous trying to do any of that.

[/ QUOTE ] that is a bit related to why I don't partake. I don't have the need, I don't see the point, and I think it demeaning to try to make myself feel good because of some historical quirks in my family or cultural history - that I never had any input in or control over. I am who I am, the culture I move in is the culture I move in -- deal with it. Seems a bit weird to have 4 groups in a restaurant each celebrating a different heritage. So, I guess it ends up that I disagree with - [ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with anyone of any ethnic or cultural background being proud of where their ancestors came from.

[/ QUOTE ] since it seems to me it's a false and unearned pride. "Look at me, I'm Irish".