View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: To weak with JJ as an overpair?

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is... I'm not sure what size bet to make because of his short stack. If you bet half-pot after a check-raise like that, you're betting the same amount and that still telegraphs weakness, but if you bet more, he won't really have enough behind to make you fold if he comes over the top. As played... I would have bet $15-20 (2/3ish), and depending on my read... called a reraise but hoped for a fold. To 4_2_it, what line do you suggest?

As it stands... the 3-bet on the flop really bloated the pot, but that was the right play. I think the easier way to avoid this problem on the turn or river is to bet hard pre-flop and pot the flop. Make him define his hand sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 3-bet of the pot basically committed villain's stack. The king really isn't that big of a scare card for hero. Villain probably isn't calling the 3-bet with AK. QJ, a set or two pair (9T?) are the hands that beat hero. Since hero has 2 of the jacks you can somewhat discount the straight.

After thinking it over, if hero is to continue in the hand then pushing the turn is the play. Another play would have been to smooth call the flop raise and lead out the turn. If hero gets a push then he is most likely beat and can fold.

Try to play for small pots with one pair hands. Bloating the pot on the flop makes future decisions more costly (or profitable).