View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: why do i win more at 15/30 and 30/60 than 5/10?

[ QUOTE ]

well i don't think i could beat like phil ivey or gus hansen but it would probably be easier to beat them than beat all 9 people that see the flop at 2/4. that's why 15/30 is better because only 3 or 4 people see the flop and then you can bluff them

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to feel this way also, that playing higher limits i was able to put moves on other players more and thus win more. I do question just how much the skill level improves as the stakes go up--i think many times its just a case of the same skill levels but their day jobs pay better!!
Still, it seemed to me that i was just playing the smaller stakes a bit incorrectly. If you play very tight pre-flop when everyone is seeing the flop, you are probably not playing your suited connectors, Ax suited, etc. With the fishy games, you want to hit monster hands and then get paid off when people chase when drawing dead. The AK AQ, QQ type hands do better with fewer callers. Sometimes, Sklansky points out that the players actually get correct odds to call your high cards when everyone calls a raise preflop. Now the pot odds make calling correct.
So if you get a lot more players in, then you want to play more straight, flush, and other hands geared toward becoming monsters.
I suck at poker but am finding the lower limits to be more and more beatable with this strategy tweak. As you move up, potentially playing tighter, aggro, bluffing comes into play.

-g