View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Interesting hand from the Bellagio 2k tournament

I think knowing relative stack sizes would help as would the general temperment of the table.

Against the hand range of a lone, desperate, short stack, I think your 1.5:1 pot odds are good.

But other factors are important. You are out of position and we don't know how the table is playing and what the relative stack sizes are.

Some questions I would ask myself here are 1) do the other players perceive me as an active player involved in a lot of pots 2) are there any big stacks behind me who are capable and willing to pull off a squeeze play 3) are there a couple people behind me who have shown a willingness to get involved in big pots pf when there are already multiple people involved?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, I'm probably dumping the hand. I don't want to call off 20% of my stack and then have to play AJ out of position agasint an aggressive field, nor do I want to face a reraise from behind that I'll be obligate to call but further chews significantly into my stack (the situation you were faced with). If I think the table is fairly passive and I'm unlikely to see any other callers or a squeeze play, I probably make the call.

I think the 2nd call is required, but is also an example of the trouble you can get yourself into playing AJ oop in this situation.