Thread: Big pot with 88
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Hand ranges

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You may disagree with my weights, which is fine. But you must remember when counting combos, that you have to see how likely it is that they play a hand in that particular fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but combos don't just vanish. If the hero had a range of X hands preflop, you can narrow down holds, but you can't remove really remove combos.

He had 16 ways to hold AK preflop. If you only weight that at 10 post flop, what happened to the other 6 combos? That "weight" has to be given to some other hand he could have held.

I don't really recall seen any examples in books in hands are weighted in the fashion you're saying. The examples just start with a range of X hands, then start removing hands and weight based on the combos of the hands that are left.

It's somewhat inherently weighted. You give 100% to AK, and 0% to 55. 55 isn't 0%, but AK isn't 100% either. As long as both hands are in the same category (e.g. you win), shuffling a few % here and there between them isn't statistically useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the inherant weighting of possible combos is not enough. Most of the time we do give 0% or 100% to our combos, but that is incomplete. When you are able to, you really should do further weighting. The combos "vanish", because we are assuming that since he only plays this way say a certain percentage of the time, he folds these hands, and therefore they don't exist as combos.

Sorry if I can't really explain this well. StellarWind made a good post about how to do this.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...page=0&vc=1