View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: 6-max: Calling Preflop raise with weak offsuit?

[ QUOTE ]
After reading Ed's article on trying 6-max games, I thought I'd give it a go. I'm trying to get a handle on preflop strategy with less players. On a full ring, I'm pretty tight, following the recommendations in SSHE. Adjustments I made for 6-max tables were to play any ace and sometimes any king with a somewhat decent (7 or higher kicker). I would also loosen my preflop raising conditions (e.g. KTo).

One hand I have a question on is the following. In SSHE, Ed states that many suited cards in the big blind are playable against a preflop raise, given two or more limpers. I loosened this up a bit, and in the following hand there was a caller, raiser, and me. I called with a weak suited hand, but I feel the pot odds were compelling. Further, I suspect I might have called with this hand even against a steal attempt. Am I overadjusting and playing too loose in these short-handed situations?

The Reason I ask is someone made a somewhat snide comment against my call, otherwise I wouldn't have thought anything of it....

P.S., I was going to check raise on the flop, but the PF raiser didn't bite.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls,1 fold[/i]</font>, Button raises</font>,1 fold[/i]</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: (4.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 players)</font>
Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

and this is why 6-max games are so good. people think, hey, there's only 6 people here, I have to play ever hand [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]