View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Has this HD been brought back to life? (plus Rick\'s partition sche

[ QUOTE ]
I never trust disks that have to be ressurected like this. I use them but I back up more frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

I was going to immediately replace the drive given they are so cheap. Problem was removing the front plate of my computer case to access the drive and slide it out. The semi-fancy Coolermaster computer case for my system (semi-custom built by ABS Computers) has the weirdest fasteners (a VERY shallow allen wrench type that extends to a point - maybe there is some sort of allen wrench screwdriver). I couldn't turn the fasteners with any of my normal allen wrenches (maybe I need metric - perhaps Sears or Toolshack has the right size).

The techs at a local computer shop that completely whiffed on repairing the system also never saw the fasterners, although a customer walked through the store when my box was on the counter and mentioned that he's seen them.

Anyway, the drive passed the Win XP based and PowerMax tests again but I'll keep an eye on it. I still need to learn how to remove the drive in case of future failure.

Thanks,

~ Rick

PS Turns out Google saved me regarding some of my other computer problems. A search on "overclocking failed" crossed with Asus got me to several tech help boards (overclockers are more anal than I am). It turned out the "overclocking failed" message during startup is quite common (even when the CPU is not overclocked). Problem was the various forums discussed about 20 different solutions. Several suggested rolling back the BIOS (much easier than cutting excess solder on the motherboard).

Anyway this morning I rolled back the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe BIOS to version .19 (down three or four versions) and the system now boots up without getting the "overclocking failed" message. I'm looking for other symptems of the machine being screwed up now but it seems to be working OK (fingers crossed).

Note that I wrote the original post out of fustration and a desire to sort through and log some of the things I've done (my handwriting and notes are unreadable).

Here's one just one discussion of related BIOS errors

~ Rick