View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Does a tiny baiting river bet ever work?

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you're down to the river and have a hand that's pretty good but not invincible (like 2 pair, maybe trips, or even 1 high pair).

Given the action, it's pretty clear that no one has anything, and you've built a LAGgish image, where people are aware that you can bluff, and will try to buy pots with position.

You're in position and it gets checked to you. Does it work to make a tiny bet, hoping for someone to try and bluff raise you off your hand?

Thinking about it, this may have value, but I'm not sure. If you make a reasonably sized bet, everyone is going to fold. So if you bet small (like 1/5th of the pot or so), someone could take a shot at you? Even if they have a HUGE hand, they probably won't make a HUGE checkraise either, because they don't think your hand is that good, and want to give you the chance to call with something weakish.

Is this just crazy enough to work?

[/ QUOTE ]

EVERYONE'S A PUSSY! Pussy Link

Ever since I read this I put it into practice. It works extremely well. In this case it means unless I'm trying to put a play on a specific opponent, which is not often, then I'm going to put in a bet that is sized to take down the pot and I will fold to a check-raise.