View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Poker fad already fading?

Interesting article.

1. As others have mentioned...I don't think online-poker relies on the popularity of televised poker.
The best part about televised poker these days is that the online-sites are able to advertise. A little over a year ago there were zero online-poker ads on the air until the stations grew comfortable with the dot-net work-around.

2. The over-exposure on TV with all the CNN stories and what-not certainly couldn't continue at the break-neck pace it was on.

3. I had dinner with family-friends of my GF and GF's Mom. Many Latin Americans. There was a 70-year-old Peruvian woman who told me she loves watching that poker stuff on TV. There's a good chance she doesn't understand much of it except that they have lots of chips and money that they're pushing at each other.

I have witnessed similar examples.

4. How does the article claim that NBC's HUC coverage is down 14%? It only has aired for one season...so how did it go down (unless they're looking at a decline from the beginning of the coverage to the end...if so, if was up against tougher programming and also had inconsistent time-slots and not nearly as much promotion).

5. Most of the shows that weren't popular or wound up getting cancelled were pretty bad. You can't just put 5 people at a tablr, give them cards, and expect people to watch. There has to be SOME quality to the production and the announcing.
It would be kind of like comparing Jeopardy to one of those local (probably dated) high-school kids on TV quiz-shows (called 'Scholar Bowl' or something). Both TV shows just ask a bunch of trivia questions. But one is clearly a done a bit better than another.