View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 01:02 AM

Default raise sizes in SNG\'s

i was wondering what people use as standard raising levels in sng's. and could be MTT too. basically situations where the blinds increase very quickly.

i seem to recall harrington likes to raise 3-5X big blind. but harrington plays against alot of tough players who respect raises. so if he raises 10X big blind, then the only response he may get is a reraise from a better hand.

but at recreational level, i'm noticing there isn't that much respect for raising.

so my two questions:

at small stakes level, do you think it's a better idea to raise much more than 3-5X BB? frankly, i find you don't get that many opportunities with great cards before you have to start making some moves.

obviously position is key.. but i am wondering generically if you would differentiate between a made hand like JJ-KK (AA is completely different) and AK/AQ where you really don't have anything yet. and raising aggressively pre-flop and a large continuation bet on the flop is going to eat up alot of chips....... i guess that's where position becomes so important. maybe get hyper-aggressive in the blinds with a good hand, so that you don't have to worry about the flop.

thanks for any responses! i've read harrington and little green book for no-limit. but i really think there needs to be a "SSHE No-limit" for playing poorer players and in tournaments where the blinds crowd you pretty fast. i am very curious about the mathematics of EV and restricted chip stack (but against mediocre players vs. harrington which assumes good opposition).