View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: December Magazine Rating

[ QUOTE ]
I was fully intending to submit some articles myself.
But with any old article getting in, the challenge and/or excitement is no longer there.

The December Magazine is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want you guys to know that I take your criticisms seriously.

The magazine is not really a big profitmaker. It costs a couple thousand bucks a month to do, and it generates a couple thousand in revenue.

The main reason why we do it is because we think it adds value for our forum members, and it offers an opportunity for community members to get involved and write on a more formal basis than just posting. I hope this doesn't sound like corporatebabble (it's definitely not)... we do the magazine mostly for the benefit of the members of this site. At least right now, it works as a "for the members, by the members" type of thing.

We could run the magazine differently. Instead of making it "for the members, by the members," we could bring in outside writers. We could hire regular writers, a la a lot of other magazines, and have more control over the content. That's not how we envisioned it, and ultimately we may not be interested in doing a magazine like that, but if that's how you think it should be, please let us know.

If we keep it the way it is, though, then the magazine is only as good as the articles that you guys submit to us. I write an article each month, and I try to do my best, but sometimes it doesn't turn out that interesting. And I write only one article... most of the magazine consists of submissions. I can't publish something that wasn't submitted.

Honestly, the best way to improve the magazine is to submit articles. If your stuff is high quality, we will surely accept it. We will pay you $200 per article, and after three months, we return the articles to you, and you are free to shop them to whatever other poker publication you can find.

I think the magazine is good... I think the content is, on average, the best available from any magazine on poker. But I agree that it has some room for improvement. But we need your help as writers to make that happen.