Thread: Caro Article
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Caro Article

Of course, everyone playing that had to get lucky. It's freakin' rock paper scissors. But one time on Conan, he had a guest who really was supposed to be the the best rock paper scissors player in the world. Maybe he was just good at picking up opponent's patterns. So, against him, Game Theory would take away his edge.

That is, unless he has a good eye and can tell from the clenching of your fist, or your movement what you're going to pick. Then even Game Theory can't even stop him. If he really is that good though, he should pick up poker.

So that brings up the age old question... Is Math or Pyschology more important in Rock Paper Scissors??

In an interview, Graham Walker, the managing director of the World Rock Paper Scissor Society and Co-author of Official Rock Paper Scissors Strategy Guide had this to say...

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think it's primarily a game of chance or skill, and at what point in competition does it become primarily about psyching the other guy out?

The game is not random chance because humans are really bad at approximating randomness. There is always something that motivates people to make a certain throw. The trick is being able to force your opponent into making a predictable move. At the higher levels of the game, gamesmanship and psyching out your opponent reins supreme. There is a saying in RPS that the game itself is simple, but it is the gamesmanship that makes it complex.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that moves me to a more important question...
Is Rock Paper Scissors a Sport???