View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: approximating pot odds for a hand

i see what you're saying but wouldn't it be more useful to know the odds of making your hand if you stayed to the end? Your odds of hitting a four outer if you stayed to the end, assuming heads-up play to the end and none of your four outs appear in your opponents hand, are much higher. i don't know, i'm not especially gifted with math so i might just be looking at this the wrong way, but it seems more rational to examine your chances using all seven cards you receive rather than four.

The post referencing probability coefficients for each street are more along the lines of what i'm looking for. Unfortunately there is only reference to the coefficient for 6th st.

I did some basic calculations with probabilities of completing hands given different outs for each street and my results for 6th were similar to Doc AZ's. Once again, math is not my forte, but i got these coefficients: 3rd = 8; 4th = 7; 5th = 5; 6th = 3. These were obtained using very strict perimeters for known cards to maintain simplicity. Does any of that sound even vaguely feasible? Obviously it cannot capture the complexity that is 7-stud but i'm just looking for a tool to help with really difficult decisions at the table...