Thread: Party SNG's
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Party SNG\'s

[ QUOTE ]

However, even though Party SNGs may be more of a crap shoot based on the smaller stack size, that is more than compensated by the added # of tournies you can play per hour (not to mention the horrendous level of the competition).

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not believe this is [entirely] correct. In fact, I get all bent when people describe Party SnGs as "crapshoots" (implying the near total-dominance of luck). If it were really a crapshoot, how could there be any long-term winners?

Playing high-blind short-stack events requires major strategic adjustments. For the most part, your opponents don't know how to make them. If you do, you have a significant edge over the competition--a skill edge.

An analogous (hypothetical) situation:

Let's say that instead of poker, we decided to play heads up "tournament craps." We each start with T1,000 and must have $10 in action every roll of the dice. Whoever goes broke first loses. This game is a "crapshoot," right? Not really. What if my opponent takes the "any seven" bet every roll. He will almost certainly lose if I play the pass line. I will win because I have the superior strategy. It ain't luck!