View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Let\'s Discuss the CR Bluff!

The check/raise bluff is a terrible play in isolation, but is a very tough play when you understand the theory behind it. Here is a hand that I played a while ago in a 10 man game...

It was folded to a very good player who raised in LMP. I 3-bet from the BB with KQ [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and we took a flop HU.

Flop (Pot = 6 SB): A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - I bet and he called
Turn (Pot = 4 BB): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - I bet and he called
River (Pot = 6 BB): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - I checked, he bet and I raised

If I were to post this hand on the forum, I would probably get called an idiot. This play looks really stupid in isolation, but what if my hand range is AK/AQ and KQ/KJ/KT [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] when I check/raise the river? My opponent is getting 9:1 to call the check/raise, but I'm 8:1 to have a big ace in this spot (that I'm guessing will win if called). So now this play is a valid one (and a very good one at that). I will almost surely benefit from making this check/raise bluff because I'm playing very close to what game theory would suggest. Either he has to fold to my bluff or payoff my AK/AQ and that makes me $$$ long term.

Brad