View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: extracting value from strong draws

I bump this to $5 on the flop. If we assume your flush draw is indeed good if you connect, and your straight will likely be good, then you have ~58% equity in the hand, if we count the K as 1 out too. It's a draw heavy flop and if I get any calls from behind me, then even if I connect on the turn, I proceed with a LOT of caution. If I'm re-raised by villian, I don't mind a push here either. He could easily have two pair, in which we're a coin flop. The only thing I'm really worried about here is a set or a made straight. Yet so many people at this level slooooowplay their strong made hands, even on draw heavy flops, that I wouldn't be too worried about this.

As it is you want to raise and isolate as this bet could mean anything from a weak hand like a 8x to a complete bluff. You are on a semi-bluff and taking down the pot without completing your hand isn't bad, while building the pot where you're likely the favorite is the goal of profitable poker. If the field folds and SB just calls, you're likely getting the free turn.