View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: What TV Shows should I add to my netflix queue?

Some suggestions (from my own and my wife's lists):

- The Simpsons (one of the 5 or 10 greatest programs in the history of TV)
- South Park (not as consistent as The Simpsons, but does it -ever- have its moments)
- Northern Exposure (absolutely charming program, especially in Seasons 1-4)
- The Sopranos (season 4 is weakest, but it's still better than 95% of the stuff on TV today. the other 4 seasons are among the greatest television programs ever made)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Angel (Buffy's spinoff, and as good or better)
- Deadwood
- Six Feet Under (my wife likes this show more than I do, but I've only seen about 2 episodes and I get the feeling it's one of the shows you have to watch a lot before it grows on you)
- Twin Peaks (although I believe only Season 1 is available, unfortunately)
- Law and Order, regular, SVU or Criminal Intent (only a few seasons available on DVD though)
- Monty Python's Flying Circus (actually, the complete boxed set is worth a BUY for $200, not a rental)
- The Awful Truth (old Michael Moore series, getting this would depend a lot on whether you care for Michael Moore)
- Black Adder (great Brit-comedy series with Rowan Atkinson of Mr. Bean fame)
- Fawlty Towers
- Homicide: Life on the Street (the greatest cop drama of all time)
- Hill Street Blues (the greatest cop drama of all time before Homicide)
- Keeping Up Appearances (another Brit-comedy, probably not for every taste due to its focus on an older, retired couple, but still absolutely hilarious, if a bit formulaic)
- Are You Being Served?
- MASH (the older episodes - read "the ones before they let Alda direct" - are better, but the whole series is high-quality)
- Mr. Show
- NYPD Blue
- The Osbournes
- Oz
- Red Dwarf (zany British comedy/sci-fi show)
- the British Granada TV Sherlock Holmes mysteries (any of them - the late Jeremy Brett gives the greatest portrayal of Holmes to be found anywhere - on TV, film or stage)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation (recommended for anybody)
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager (probably more for big fans of the series)
- Twilight Zone (Rod Serling is the bomb. Although I don't think a definitive complete collection has ever been released - correct me if I'm wrong - most of the episodes are out there in DVD form somewhere, in various collections)
- The West Wing
- The X-Files
- World Poker Tour DVDs (how could I leave this one off?)
- ESPN WSOP 2003 and 2004 DVD sets
- Cheers
- Seinfeld (also gotta love how the new Season 5 and 6 box set comes with a small replica of the Puffy Shirt)
- Frasier
- Sledge Hammer! (farcical 80s cop show, way ahead of its time)

--Scott