View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Why do we fold QTo from UTG?

[ QUOTE ]
Someone mentioned open-raising with a hand like this for variety in a tight game. Even this is dubious, though, because 2 bets is just too much for either of these hands unless you get a lot of help (and T9s is helped a lot more than QT).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with openraising T9s if your opponents are playing super weak-tight or just respecting you too much in general. If shown down, it can give you a LAG image with some players and generate more action; if not shown down, you probably just stole another pot. It's usually a -EV play over the course of that particular hand, but could be a +EV play over the course of the entire session if you only do it under the correct circumstances.

T9s is probably better than QTo for this purpose, though. HU the only way the kicker is going to matter if you flop a pair of tens is if your opponent has precisely JT, and I'd rather flop a flush draw than TP4K if I've been 3bet. There is the fact that the Q might be an overcard, but I think improved straight and flush potential more than make up for that when you'll mostly be HU with a hand better than yours.