View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Another my take on God post . . .

Cool post.

There is an excellent theroretical construct that the psychological community usually acknowledges (developed my lots of people, especially Erikson) that a human being starts off extremely selfish, and as we grow, we become increasingly aware of a vaster social network, and become more focused on helping others. Our altruism develops.

We enter the world as infants unaware of the world's existence when we close our eyes...we become brats and bullies, cruel and uncaring toward other kids throughout middle school...we demand respect and worship from the world as teenagers...we grow to lust and covet beautiful people, shiny watches and booming careers as young adults...then we learn to love and be loved by others, we marry, have children and devote ourselves to them...we grow fulfilled and content with our impact on the world and want to help others experience the mental place we've gotten to.

Each step depends on the step before it, though. My father is an excellent example; in his late twenties, his law practice boomed and he flaunted his success. Now about to retire, I've asked if he's going to take the money and just travel and enjoy life. Surprisingly, he wants to go back to school and get certified to help people with their emotional and financial troubles. That's how he enjoys life now. However, he understands my ambitious greed as a twenty-two year old, and knows that it's a phase I have to live through before I can get to where he is. (Remember, Buddha lived it up before he was able to give it up [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

As for being "rewarded" for vanity, that's not society's fault. We are rewarded for good looks and success, but we are also rewarded for kindness. I think a lot of people fail to see that most people like a kind, giving person. (Personally I can't stand adrenaline junkies. The reason I play online more than B&M is because I hate the competitive, narcissistic company of other poker players. Ugh.)

Now, I do see what you are saying about religion helping us get to that beautiful, self-less place. I think, though, that this is really loaded. I think it helps some people more than others, and I think most people aren't ready for religion. I used to think Buddhism was the way to happiness, but I found out that it didn't satisfy me like money, sex and drugs did. That's an important part of my ego development, and I need it before I can move on. Buddhism is too "old" for me. It's a good strategy for the late game, but not the early game. So, I think, is most religion.

As for the way out of the "mental rat race," I've got three words:

Love Saves the Day [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]