View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: AA and KK are my biggest losers at Stars 100NL

[ QUOTE ]
I really can't think of any spot where 1/3 pot bet on the turn is optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the 1/3 pot bet on the turn isn't optimal, though there are times when I do this (for example, this is a line I *rarely* take here if I had the king of clubs, since Villain is passive and even if he calls I have given myself decent odds to hit a flush).

Villain has shown himself to be loose passive and not throw in many (well, any) raises if somebody has bet before him, so I figure if I bet and he raises, he's ahead and I insta-muck. If I bet and he calls, he's probably still behind, but I'm still not too excited about inflating the pot.

I guess the trouble I have is this: I don't want to inflate the pot too much, especially since one of the worst cards I could expect hit on the turn, but I have no reason to believe that I'm beat yet. Checking says to everybody: take this pot away from me. Betting 2/3+ pot makes the pot bigger and harder to get away from -- if he calls the turn, what do i do? Betting 1/2 pot seems best to me, though I have to worry about how a thinking player would interpret that bet (I have no reason to believe that loose/passive calling station is really a great thinking player).

The 1/3 pot bet was probably influenced by my recent bad run with big pairs and the scary board -- it was too timid, but I also don't think checking is optimal, nor betting more than 1/2 pot.