View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Bots - quote from a chessmaster to discuss

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with the idea of a bot is that a computer functions like "If condition A is true, do [this]". This is only passable at the weakest games, but I have a hard time visualizing how a bot is going to decide to "sometimes" do this or that, or to know when it's static moves have been found out and alter them in a correct way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a problem that chess programmers have also had to overcome. Sure, the computer behaves in a completely deterministic way, according to a "if this do that" strategy. But like poker, chess offers far to many possible sequences of events to give rules for every possibility.

As for how a successful poker bot would function exactly, I don't know, and I'm not at all certain that there will be one anytime soon. Having a bot detect when it's strategies are unsuccessful and making SOME adjustment should be fairly simple. Making the correct adjustments is probably harder. For varying the play random number generators can be used. But I think that a successful bot, if one is created at all, would be the result of lots of statistical analysis, and lots of trial and error.