View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Hit and Run (Do I have a play?) Lengthy...

It's probably best that you missed with the battery. You could have been charged with vandalism (and maybe assault, if anybody got hurt) if it had hit and probably would have been liable for any damage to her car. I can understand why you did it; I might have done it too in your situation. It's a good thing you showed up for court. Without the police officer, you would have had no witness, and she might have gotten away with her lie. Maybe the mother did call the cop, but I can't imagine that he would have believed her. You might file a complaint about that with the Police departments internal affairs officer. I would imagine that the cop gave her a break on the hit and run because she did return, and she was young. Making a speeding charge stick without any radar reading would be tough. She did get charged with running the stop sign, which was the easily probable offense.

I would report to the police and maybe the DA about the call. This is probably witness tampering, obstruction of justice, or something of that nature. However, all you can do is report it. It will be up to the cops and the prosecurtor whether they will do anything about it. With a recorded message, they might have a case, but whether they will pursue it in a traffic case is questionable. The mother may claim it wasn't her that left the message. If there are phone records indicating that she called your number from her home or cell phone, it would help. If she called from a pay phone or somebody else's phone, it may be a little harder to prove that she made the call. Obviously, you are not dealing with honest people here.