View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: NCAABB Unranked vs Ranked 11/29

I knew this would come up today. This trend is used by many people and some use either poll. I do not. I am a bit more strict with it.

My reasoning is that people must SEE the ranking next to the team. Most television and newspapers use the USA Today poll as their main poll for listing the rankings next to the teams when promoting the game. I think this is important because only the people who are digging a little deeper will see that Nevada is ranked in the AP poll and those people are slightly more in the know. Your average Joe Public "may" never notice and you "may" not get the added value.

There are many different spins to this trend. For example, I use the opening line to determine if it's a play. Others don't care what the opening line is and play it if the unranked teams was favored at any time. Another example, I don't play them if the line opens at a pick. Others do. I wont count it as a play with the criteria I use. Others will. For situations like this, I will sometimes bet these for half the amount I put on the normal trend plays but again, I wont count it on my record.

Does that make any sense? I hope it does, along with my reasoning. If you must, play it for half.