View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Live Long Enough to Live Forever

It sounds like an interesting read, though from you exert it appears to have major flaws.
"We’ve basically doubled the expectation in the past hundred years."

We have doubled the average life expectancy, but we havn't come close to doubling the LONGEST an indivicual can live. There are accounts of Romans living into their 80's and 90's, while the oldest living person on record is around 116 (i thin). We haven't really made the "exponential" progress in the longest that an individual can live that is nessecary to be able to epect a person to live past 120 yrs. This sounds like a manipulation of figures to sell books, especially when you look at the reasons for the increase in life expectancy over the past 100 years.
1. Obstectrics- women not dying in childbirth, and children not dying during childbirth.
2. Vaccinations keeping young children alive- traditionally along with the old, the most vulnerable to infectious disiese.
As a male once you got past a certain age (arounnd 20) you average life expectancy was over 60 100 years ago (this was in england around 1900, don't have the specific figures with me, but i might be able to find the old text book they were in). The majority of technology in this area has allowed children to grow up into adults more often, something that is much moreeaily achievable than alling adults to slow down the ageing process.