View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Is ND really deserving for BCS

[ QUOTE ]
This is why I really hate the BCS.

I am a ND fan. I know it's like being a Yankee fan. And I hate Yankee fans, so I try not to be one. So I am pretty conflicted by this. Does ND deserve to be in a BCS game? The answer, "It doesn't matter."

I've always had a problem with the no playoff in college football. I had hoped that some constant bitching by writers and fans would get something done. Then I heard an interview with the Big East Chairman. He explained why there would never be a tournament. Simply 2/3 of the schools in a conference would have to vote to move from bowls to a tournament. None of them would. Because every time a team makes a bowl game the whole conference splits the money. So a teams like Baylor, Duke and Vandy get a part of $14.5 millon every year. They don't want a playoff they would never see a dime. Yes, I know the better educated college football fan knows this.

Here is the way I look at it. If a team like Oregon or Auburn is pissed that ND will get a BCS bid before them the first place they have to look is straight in the mirror. If the BCS was created to make the most money then you can't spin around and say that the best team deserves to get in to a BCS game.

Notre Dame makes the most money for the Bowl they are in. Every year they qualify they should get a BCS bid. No matter if the only people they played were Navy, Airforce, Army and BYU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Sluss. The problem is the BCS, not ND. Its easy to hate them, because they do get special treatment and are overrated. But there are reasons, as you noted, and its not the fault of ND that they are well liked across the country and treated accordingly. This wouldn't be a problem in a playoff system.