View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: One year ago today, I...

How ironic that it is irie's post I am putting this in (or perhaps not so at all).

A year ago I was a few months out of college and broke as hell, starting a company with a school friend and we were experiencing some growing pains. It was around this time that I become a clear winner at poker. Two years ago I was a clear loser...it was a slow transition.

I read Aleo's guide and a bunch of other stuff here. I began to ravage the 33's. I saw a post by Irie about some of his backing endeavors and fired off a fateful PM. Within a couple days I was backed and the biggest downswing I had experienced (to that point) ensued. I lost my backing and within another two days GauchoFish was probably the most hated nick in the history of the STT forum.

I changed my name, kept posting...and improving. I took a slow approach to moving up and stayed at the 33's probably longer than I should have. Got some amazing advice about the 55's and higher from posters here...and finally made the jump. Somewhere in there I decided to try and mend some fences and also play more MTT's.

In early July I moved from Los Angeles to Davis and on my first day at my new office in Davis I placed 2nd in the Super Monday on Party, bagging 15.8k. I did like any self-respecting gambler would do...I packed my bags and I headed to the WSOP.

There I made a load more in NL cash games and STT's at the WSOP. So I headed to NYC and Atlantic City, in that order. Atlantic City was not kind to me (I have a craps leak...) and I headed back home, intending to start up my business with my juicy roll.

A couple of days of thought and contemplation led me to decide to go pro, and I did so in July of this year. I moved to the 109's and have now been back and forth between them and the 55's for a few months. I have also packed it up and decided to travel the world and do my job. I am writing this from an internet cafe on the Thai island of Koh Phi Phi. In short, I am in heaven.

I setup a blog to chronicle the journey if anybody wants to follow along...link in my profile.

Bill

-who is proud to be a member of the 2+2 STT forum community