View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 02:34 AM

Default question about HU play, Matusow vs. Friedman on FTP

i was watching this heads up match between Mike Matusow and agent007 on Full Tilt Poker last night, who Matusow was referring to as Prahlad, so I can assume it was him. They were sitting on a 25/50 table with one other player, then Friedman goes 50/100, and they move. Prahlad proceeded to take around 30k from Matusow, and I wondered if he realized that Matusow was playing poorly at the time and asked him to up the stakes for that reason.

During the match I was noticing something that Matusow was doing that made my eyes twich a little bit, because it didn't seem like a good play to make. It happened like 4 times during the match. Matusow would raise on the button to 300 preflop, Friedman calls, then bets out 600 after the flop, and Matusow would min-raise him to 1,200. When I saw it the first time it didn't look like a good move, and it got worse the next 3 times. The first time Matusow did it, Friedman folded, the next time he called the min-raise and bet big on the river to get Mike to fold. The third and fourth time he re-raised to get Mike to fold. Maybe Matusow called one of the re-raises, but he still lost all 4 pots. I don't quite remember specifics of the hands, I just remember not liking this play over and over, and I didn't want to type anything about it in the chat-box and get berated by Matusow, who does that occassionally on FTP. Either way, I would like to hear some opinions on min-raises like that, and if they are frequently used by high-stakes players, or if it is just a bad move.