View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: 10/20 AQs preflop

I use the stat once I have about 100 hands on a person, a little less if they have a high VPIP (because they have had the same number of chances to see a showdown). You can tell what it should be based on looking at your own stats. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Definitely over 30% and under 40%. Where in that range often depends on the limit that is being played and whether the game is short or not. Also, it should theoretically go down a tad if your VPIP is higher (because the extra worse hands you see hit the board strong enough to see a showdown less often). I really go after people who see 45% of showdowns or more. That usually means they call down almost all PPs and any pair no matter how much action there is.

I can't think of any specific examples where I have used the stat (though I know I have done it many times). Maybe this is a decent example, though I am not sure.

A guy limps in and I isoraise him with AK. Flop comes K93 rainbow. He checks, I bet, he calls. Turn is 7 completing the rainbow. He checks, I bet, he raises. Let's say that he's aggressive enough that his raise indicates a set, two pair, or a K with a broadway kicker. Without doing the math, assuming he'll play any K9, 97s, K7s, but no other two pair combinations, I think 3-betting has value here. Against a player who could get away from KT or KJ here, the 3-bet goes down in value. But if the player sees 40% of showdowns, I know he isn't folding to the 3-bet. If the player is tricky and capable of folding here, I would probably just call.

Another common situation is when someone donks a river with what appears to be a weak hand (the action is inconsistent with him having a strong hand). If he sees a lot of showdowns, then I suspect his line is more likely to be bet/call rather than bet/fold, compared to someone who sees less showdowns. So I can raise more marginal hands against this opponent.

It's been about a month since I played any limit hold 'em (outside of a few live 3/6 hands), so I have to apologize for being a bit hazy on good examples. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]