View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Re-learning how to laydown top pair... standard?

Tough decision here. In actual play, I doubt I'd have the discipline to even think about laying this down.

You're getting 8:1 for your turn call. Assuming all of your outs are clean, that's even money for a call to try to improve your hand to two-pair or trips. However, your 5 potential outs are not always clean here, obviously, as villain often already has hands like 44, 22, A4, A2 .... In which case, you really don't have much in the way of implied odds as you can't be confident about raising the river even when you do hit your hand.

On the other hand, you may have the best hand here. After all, you did open-raise from the CO position, and BB may take this as a steal attempt. So, he could be overplaying hands like AJ, AT, A9 ...

Considering all of the above, it's probably a close call, but I think FOLDING (as you did) is the best play. You've shown a lot of strength throughout this hand, including a flop 3-bet, yet this guy is continuing to check-raise you on the turn (often indicative of a stronger hand). It just seems like more than not he's gonna have two-pair or a set.

Having said all that, again, I'm still not sure I'd be able to lay this down in actual play, while multi-tabling. But then again, hopefully I've learned something from my own response to this thread. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Nice hand.

EDIT: Just read one of the others' responses and realized you have an additional 4 potential outs for a gutshot.

Thus, disregard my entire above post. These additional outs make this an easy call on the turn. Then, on the river, you should probably call down getting 10:1 with Top-Pair-2nd-Kicker.

I've left the original post intact. As it answers a related question: What would you do without the gutshot draw?

Adam