View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Hastert Plays Politics With Holidays

[ QUOTE ]
I will grant you that Muslims get a lot of criticism both here and elsewhere, mostly due to terrorism related things, but do you honestly think Jews get the same criticism as Christians. Even the slightest remark about Jews is strongly condemned in society.

As an example, The Passion of the Christ. Criticism of alleged anti-Jewish portrayals was a huge controversy, as you certainly remember. However, movies where Christians are portrayed negatively are released on a regular basis without the same concern over negative portrayals or stereotypes. Only on rare occasions do this get any coverage. Michael Medved wrote a book about this a few years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to reiterate – there are Christians today (and Jews and Muslims, and other such groups) who face actual persecution and oppression; Christians who have to hide their faith, and hide the fact they practice their faith, or face imprisonment, torture, punishment, or worse...

...and the best American Christians can do, to point to how ‘wronged’ they are, is that their secular tree symbols (which possess some relation to their religious holiday) get ‘renamed’ when placed in a public place (I put 'renamed' in quotes because, of course, it’s not as if you can’t call it a Christmas Tree if you like), or that some people poke fun at them in movies. And radio show hosts like The Brave Michael Medved somehow find the courage to come out of the shadows and bravely write books about such dangerous things (I mean, with the PC Police on the loose and all!)

Any American Christian who pretends, hints, or subtly implies that they're somehow persecuted or oppressed needs to do some serious introspection, and consider if their concerns aren't just a wee-bit exaggerated, overblown and hypocritical (given that they criticize 'PC libs' for being hyper-sensitive, only to whine incessently about silly things they feel wronged about, like how non-religiously-symbolic trees related to their holiday get named in ways that they don't like).