View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Textbook wait for turn in huge pot?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wait for the turn when I have a really strong hand like a set and there are no big draws on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this exactly the opposite of what SSHE advocates? I don't have the text in front of me, but doesn't it say if you have a really strong hand, you've got a big equity edge and need to push it immediately (except in rare slowplay situations)? And if you have a weak/vulnerable hand, you have a small equity edge and therefore it MAY prove worthwhile to wait until the turn before you push that edge?

My first thought was we have a pretty strong hand here and therefore a pretty significant equity edge, and therefore we must raise this flop to push that edge. However, I'm not great at estimating the total outs against us or factoring in the fairly remote chance we're already behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Waiting until the turn makes much more sense in situations where we aren't sure whether we have a lot of equity or not, and seeing a turn card will greatly define the strength of our hand. With monsters, pushing immediately is usually correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypothetical: What if instead of A-Ko, the Hero held A-Qo on this flop? Are we getting close to wait-until-the-turn territory then?