View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: What could Dannenman have put Hachem on in the last hand?

From the espn article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker...amp;id=2239158

The other thing that fans usually ask about is the final hand against Hachem.

"Before we started [heads-up play], I shook his hand,'' Dannenmann says. "I said, 'Good luck. I hope you win. You are the better player and you'll respect the title more than I will. And we're going to get this over in five hands.' Those were the exact words. As a matter of fact, Joe came up to me at the Borgata in Atlantic City in September and he repeated it to me word-for-word.''

Dannenman was off by one. It took six hands.

"What I'm thinking is, I just played 12-14 hour days, seven days straight, I've gotten a total of 15½ hours sleep the entire week,'' Dannenmann says. "The goal I had that day was don't go out first, don't be the ninth guy. Thereafter, when you do go out, you want to make sure you have a good hand.''

With the blinds at $150,000-$300,000 and a $50,000 ante, Dannenmann drew A-3 offsuit on the button and raised to $700,000. Hachem called with 7-3 offsuit. The flop came 6-5-4, two diamonds, giving Hachem a seven-high straight. Dannenmann bet out $700,000. Hachem raised it $1 million. Dannenmann called. The turn came the ace of spades, giving Dannenmann top pair with an up-and-down straight draw. Hachem bet $2 million. Dannenmann raised to $5 million. Hachem reraised all-in. Dannenmann called.

"I thought, 'You know what, Joe may have two pair here, I do have top pair and I do have an open-ended straight [draw], and I'm tired, let's go home, if it was meant to be, it was meant to be,''' Dannenmann says.

It wasn't meant to be. Dannenmann needed a 7 on the river to chop the pot. Instead, a 4 came, and the Aussie pro became world champion.

"I don't regret a moment of that,'' Dannenmann says. "The only thing I may regret is not raising it up more [preflop]. But I may have not gotten any action. But I got action, and he got the best hand. He deserved to win.''

I hope that hasn't already been posted....

I think he was surrendering.