View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: $1000 Party PL hand

OOP I'd prefer to not monkey around with this hand. Assume everyone's got $2k. You limp, MP makes it $90 to go, there are two callers, this means there's your $20, the SB's $10, and MP, button's, and BB's $90 in there. You can either call the $90 (making the total pot to the flop $380), or you can raise an additional $380, which will commit anyone to the pot if you get callers. Your hand is a hand that can stand action with virtually any flop; many of your opponent's will require particular flops, and when they come will have deep stacks to charge you with when they have a massive advantage on you.

This flop worked out nicely for you, but you are in a very tough spot if the flop comes JJ3. MP, button, or BB could all possibly be playing hands like TJQK or JQKA--hands that couldn't stand a reraise preflop, but that will be in excellent shape against you now. Getting these hands out (or charging them the max) is the reason you want to reraise preflop. You might argue that A2J will be there no matter what you do preflop, but then think of all the flops that will give you severe edge on A2J, and with the PF reraise he'll be pot-committed as a big dog.

Anyhow, if you are able to get over a third of your stack in preflop with this hand, I think the the PF reraise is the best line by far. In fact, if anything I'd prefer to make the reraise when there are multiple players in, and prefer to cold call a raise if it's going heads up to a flop (since stacks will still be deep relative to the pot goign to the flop, you're OOP, and cold-calling will strongly disguise your monster).