View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Textbook wait for turn in huge pot?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wait for the turn when I have a really strong hand like a set and there are no big draws on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this exactly the opposite of what SSHE advocates? I don't have the text in front of me, but doesn't it say if you have a really strong hand, you've got a big equity edge and need to push it immediately (except in rare slowplay situations)? And if you have a weak/vulnerable hand, you have a small equity edge and therefore it MAY prove worthwhile to wait until the turn before you push that edge?

My first thought was we have a pretty strong hand here and therefore a pretty significant equity edge, and therefore we must raise this flop to push that edge. However, I'm not great at estimating the total outs against us or factoring in the fairly remote chance we're already behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. I think when I wrote that I meant that in general I will wait for the turn to put in a raise with a set. But that doesn't at all apply to this particular hand and situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though it's off-topic, if you're always waiting until the turn to put in a raise with a set, in my opinion you're probably making a mistake like 80% of the time. Considering playing more aggressively on the flop with sets. I think you might like the results, particularly in multiway pots.