View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Really need help with this

I'm guilty of this myself sometimes when I play NL ring games. The best advice I can give is to slow down, think, and try to make the best possible decision on EVERY hand you play.

I think the biggest leak for a lot of NL players (at least for me, although I usually play SNGs), is the crying call of a big bet on the river. Example: I flop top 2 pair. I bet hard cause I know the fish is on a flush draw. He calls on the flop even though he's not getting the odds. He calls another big bet on the turn. Flush card comes on the river. He makes a big bet. I KNOW my 2 pair is now no good. Everything in my bones tells me he hit his flush.

But maybe... he just has TPTK. Maybe he's bluffing. Maybe he has a lower 2 pair. So I call. Needless to say, he has the flush.

I've done this more times than I'd like to admit. Still working on it. And yes, a dumb mistake like that can lead to tilt, at least for me.

As someone else mentioned, in limit poker it's easy to call one bet on the river, so you don't run into these decisions as often. But then again, in limit your opponent often has correct odds to chase his flush. In NL, at least you can charge him a high price to chase.