View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Preflop question regarding KJs, please post opinion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
excerpt from MLHP page 49...

Q: You are in the cutoff seat with KJ of clubs. Three players limp in. What do you do?

A: call. King-jack suited is normally not a raising hand. You want to see a flop, but not pay a high price to do so.

this situation is very similar to mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ciaffone and Brier are wrong. This is a very clear raise. (As per usual, they don't seem to have a completely sophisticated grasp of how equity is distributed in certain situations... That lack of mathematical insight I think is there biggest failing, and probably explains a fair percentage of the tight-weak advice they give. The book is quite good with those exceptions.)

[/ QUOTE ]

First, MLH is great book, but it's geared to middle-limit holdem. In the book's example, they are assuming that the limpers are smarter than the average low-limit player, and would be limping in with the types of hands that dominate you if you weren't suited.

Second, there is another key difference between the OP and the book's example: you have posted. You get all the advantages of raising for the same price as a call. Generally, I'm raising any hand I would have called with had I not posted.