View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: The Value of Human Life (a poll for BigSooner)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can not justify taking someone else's life even if it means letting someone I love die.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can justify taking someone else's life... even if no loved one's are involved: self-defense, euthanasia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough: I think good arguments can be made for killing someone in the two examples listed. Can you give a justification for killing someone who (1) hasn't infringed on your rights at all and (2) hasn't consented to your taking their life?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure: to save someone else's life. If a suicide bomber is about to blow up a building that I'm not in, then it would be moral for me to kill him to prevent him from killing other people.

Then, the next step would be to kill someone who wasn't intentionally putting other people's lives at risk.

Then, the next step would be to introduce acts of omission, and show that they are really no better than acts of commission. But, I digress.

Killing an innocent person is bad. That is true. However, there are times when that is the least bad choice. Which would make it the right or moral thing to do.