View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Re: OT: STTs vs MTTs

yeah [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

For one to say that STTs have been fundamentally "solved" would be an exaggeration, but we are moving in that direction im sure. There is a recipe for playing "well enough" to beat the vig in 800 chips, and sadly, more and more of "us" playing more and more tables. *Somebody* has to be paying our profits (and the vig), and that pool of money is getting more diluted amongst more good players playing more table hours. Add to this that the "fish" cant help but unwittingly imitate what they see others doing. When in Rome, and all that. I dont mean they are getting to be better poker players, just that they see everyone being rocks early/maniacs late...not hard to catch on.

I can see in a couple years only the very best players beating a 10% vig at any significant stakes. And that makes me sad. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So...the wave of the future? Well, my hope is a new format of poker develops, so everyone starts from scarch again, and the more astute players who frequent poker forums learn how to master that form while the fish are still plentiful and so so so bad (like im sure the very first onlne STTs 3-5 years ago were a cakewalk. But, as for todays games, i dunno, i think limit ring is pretty static, water thats found its own level. I dont think you can just learn a few tricks /fundamentals and suddenly find yourself making a ton of $...it takes alot of work/time, and all the current limit ring players have a big headstart on us. NL less so (and we are somewhat better versed in that structure), but im not so confident i could ever make my SnG income from NL ring, not without much work invested. That leaves MTTs and i think that will be where the easiest $ is (i want to move into more MTTs). I feel this way because:

1) tournament poker is more dynamic, and affords mathimatical minded players more room for BIG edges (as STT bubbles are/were).
2) The expectation of a small loss, chance of a big score is condusive to more long term donators than ring games.
3) its harder to multitable multis than sng (i presume, not much expierience there, but you couldnt 12 tabe, could you?)
4) winrates much greater than vig could be maintatined. Poker sites will hold 10%vig kicking and screaming until the STT games die. A 50%-100% ROI is not unheard of for top MTTers. Greater time investment per, so ROI% is not really a good stat for comparison, but what simportant is that the MTT games can get MUCH tougher before you have negative expectation (assuming you are quite good).

BL'

*much of this is opinion, so call me out on things i may be making incorrect assumption on [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]