View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Official December goals post

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5.) Have a 3.0 for the first semester

[/ QUOTE ]
A 3.0 is incredibly easy, regardless of your school. There might be a select few majors at a select few schools (read: complex engineering at a top 5 engineering undergrad) where it is somewhat difficult, but outside of those, a 3.0 should be a minimum, not a goal.

Gabe, I've come to respect certain aspects of your personality through what I've read here. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you blew off school in order to make a ridiculous amount of money with poker. I would be impressed if you blew off some amount of poker in order to take classes that interested you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate this adivce, and you are absoltley right, a 3.0 should be a piece of cake. The problem i am having is that as a freshman, my hands are somewhat tied in regards to what courses i can take. While i have a passion for business, the material we cover is stupidly mundane and there is nothing that is hands on. I don't tend to get interested in being lectured, i like getting my hands dirty and figuring stuff out, which i havent had the oppurtunity to do yet in school.

Part of me knows that i need to keep all the doors open, but i'm not going to lie, it's extremely difficult to maintain motivation for school when a good month of poker is more than i will make in a year coming out of undergrad or even grad school. I think i can force myself to get a little more ambitious, but it's a process, the amount of $$$ to be made is a shock to anyone, let alone an 18 year old who worked for $7.10 an hour a year ago. I would like to think i have great perspective and whatnot, but lets face it, i'm a kid and money skews my perspective on things.

I am determined to stay in school, and hopefully i will be able to find an appropriate balance. My ideal scenario is that i make enough from poker to start my own businesses and become a real estate mogul, but the truth is i have no idea where i will be 4 years from now. Regardless, i appreciate your comments, it's always good to have reality checks, because from time to time i need them.

Gabe