View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Running good, running bad... running normal?

I've been playing poker seriously for the last 5 years. I've read a lot of books and played a lot of hands, thanks to the internet. Whenever my friends use to ask me what the difference was between a good player and an average one I would tell them, "An average player will lose when they are running "normal", and a good player will win." This is, obviously, not the whole answer, but I thought it made things easy to understand. Just recently I said this to someone and began to think about the last time I ran "normal". I thought about this, talked to my friends about this, and thought about it some more and just couldn't remember the last stretch of 1 to 2 weeks I ran normal. We play no-limit, thus the games are volitile and the roll takes hits and donations, but I'm talking about the cards. Can anyone remember the last time they had a good day, a bad day, a good day, and a bad day? From what I've experienced, I usually run good for a couple weeks/months then run bad for a couple weeks/months. No inbetween. Is that what everyone else experiences, or is it just me?

Side note: If this is true, wouldn't that prove that luck exists. And, if luck exists, we aren't putting a big enough price on it? There would have to be alternate stratagies to utilize that factor. Running good stratagies, running bad stratagies...