View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Preflop confusion

I think just calling and 3 betting is close. I do not consider folding because calling and getting a 3 way pot with one donk involved seems too good to pass up.
The reasons to call are similar to the reasons why I sometimes cold call from the small blind when the button open raises. I want to give the big blind a chance to play badly if he will call with complete trash and my hand plays decent multiway (I don't mean to imply I would coldcall with 99 if it were a button raise, of course) I think having a third guy in the hand who plays badly makes it possible to get more out of the set value for my hand, and also makes it less likely that I fold a winner because the PFR has to play more straightforward with a third guy in the hand.
I think this would be a good spot to cold call preflop, but then bet just about any flop with only one overcard. There is a good shot the fishy big blind will peel on a lot of flops with marginal holdings, and now the pfr will have a difficult time continuing the hand against 2 opponents without a solid holding, making it unlikely you will be moved off a winner.