View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Preflop confusion

i agree w/ JV and stox.... i have no clue where you came from but you definately have a lot to add.

note to TEX: you pmed me asking why you were met with such hostility in the forum and concluded it was because you were new. i pointed you towards lestat's entrance and we now have another data point. the above new poster within his first 10 posts provided excellent analysis and i sincerely hope he continues to post on this board. you came out "guns blazing" as you put it without any real knowledge yet assuming you were very good at poker. tempus hasn't said anything except the analysis he/she puts forth. and its very good analysis. see the difference?

onto the analysis at hand:

one thing you left out, tempus, is that if you call, you will be able to leverage your relative position very well.

22/12/2 (very aggressive postflop fairly tight preflop and aggressive preflop) is going to bet near 100% of the flops that come down.

JV is OOP here and calling gives him relative positional power as an option. i think this is close as 88 for me is a call and TT (what i thought was an easy) 3bet. (i like to compare similar hands in the same spot and see how close the decision is). given your pokerstove analysis TT is indeed a 3 bet and 88 indeed a call.

but the fact that PFraiser has position and the fact that you are putting in 3 bets here and likely betting most flops, you have to factor into the equation the expected gain/loss of one sb that you put out there on the flop. when you call, you gain/lose fewer sbs so if this is a close spot, it doesn't matter a whole lot but does add a lot to variance if you 3 bet, especially if its capped by PFraiser (who would then have initiative AND position...very dangerous indeed)

if this was live and a 5 bet cap, a 3bet mitigates the above b/c the PFraiser would now be more hesitant to 4bet w/o a hand that beats you or is very very strong against you (KK/QQ/AK) /b/c it may come back to him for yet another bet.

its also VERY important to factor in the PFraiser's postflop agression. if he is very aggressive postflop you may end up making large postflop mistakes (folding the best hand or calling/betting w/ very few outs). how will you react when you get raised on the flop w/ an overcard and a flush draw out there when the bb called pf and called your flop continuation bet? its tough, but you'll mostly fold and its the PFraiser that has used the bb's presence in the pot to manipulate you out of it if he didn't have you beat.

further, you have to look at the possible turn action.

if you bet and are called, and we know PFraiser is aggressive, he may raise a turn when he's behind you for a free showdown forcing you into yet another tough decision.

this post by JV is very good b/c im not sure the people he asked took ALL of this into account and getting it in writing helps all of us.

im sure there is more to this analysis but thats all i got off the top right now.

Barron