View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Should I quit? 35k hands at 1/2 and still breaking even..Stats in

[ QUOTE ]
I've been attempting to steal more blinds but it hasn't been working out too well. Say I hold a pretty decent hand, like A8o, and its folded to me in the button.

I raise, and get called by BB. Flop is 2 6 7.

I bet, even though I don't have anything, but to see if he has anything.

He calls, Turn is a 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you need to adjust for loose passive players who won't fold 4th pair no kicker, and will call your steal raise with any two. Once you've value bet the flop (and it is usually a value bet when you're coming in with A8 and he has any two), you use your position on the turn. If you've made a pair or very strong draw, bet it again (if folding equity + draw equity > 50%). Here's the key: if you have no pair and no draw, CHECK BEHIND on the turn. You will often draw a better hand on the river, and when you don't it will be easy to judge where you stand versus straightforward opponents. They're going to bet their pairs and check their trash. Even when they check the river, I'll still often check behind with ace high. You can't bet loose passives out of a hand. Trying to do so will cost $$$.

[ QUOTE ]
Two limpers to me. I raise with QQ. They both call.

Flop comes 8 K 3.

Check, I bet, they both call.

Turn is 6.

Check, I bet, Fold, 1 Call.

River is a blank.

Check to me, I bet, he calls and turns over K10o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good turn bet, but you need to check the river through. Yes, it is very important to value bet rivers, but again, against loose passive guys, you don't often have a value bet here without at least top pair.

[ QUOTE ]

3rd Example:

Ks10c on CO.

Everyone folds to me, I raise, BB reraises.

Flop comes Ac Jc 6s

BB checks, I bet, he calls.

Turn is 4c.

He bets, I call.

River is blank.

He bets, I??

[/ QUOTE ]

You fold king high because it wins 0% of the time. I like your flop bet (getting 6:1 on an unlikely fold by him, plus the gutshot means the bet was probably ok), but I hate your turn call. Much of this depends on who BB is, and how he'd play hands like 55, A9s, and QT of course. Against any reasonable player, I am folding the turn. What can he have that you beat? Hell, if he's reasonable enough, I am checking the flop through and hoping to pair my king or catch the gutter on the turn. IMO you dumped at least 1BB on this hand, and if you called the river two.