View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: My gambler friend thinks online poker is boring

[ QUOTE ]
and my friend finds ways to combine these promos with games that are 99% or so standalone, so that the combination is +EV. Lest some say this is impossible,

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to hijack the thread and probably nobody cares about this anyway, but if a bunch of games are 99%(HA is 1%) individually, then they simply can't be +EV when they are put together.

This is a common misconception among (winning) gamblers. You often hear people say, "these games are about even when played separately but if you play a whole bunch of them you can squeeze out some profit". This is a false statement.

We know that some VP games (with bonuses) are +EV. But why do people believe their EV <= 0 when you only play one of them? Assuming HA = 20%, Bonus = $800, WR = $4,000, their argument is, if you busted out you didn't win any money (obviously); if you didn't bust but lost all the bonus money, same thing; if you came out ahead you just got lucky because EV = 0. The argument is flawed even though all three statements are true.

As I said before this misunderstanding of EV won't cost you anything in this case. I just love to nitpick and I really hate mudded thinking.